Moving to a new house with your Boerboel – What to expect/ what to do about it

I recently moved into a new house and started experiencing some issues with my 15-month-old BB girl. She has never lived in a house that has neighbors with other dogs and now the neighbors on either side of us have dogs that tend to bark a lot. This has caused some issues with her and barking back at them. She doesn’t know what to do with herself; even if the other dogs aren’t barking and she smells them outside she will get agitated and posture up (sometimes giving a few barks to try for a response from the other dogs). She also does this if she hears the neighbors talking outside on their patios.

The new house has also led her to be exceedingly jumpy with noises. I am not joking when I say that she freaks with every little noise. It is non-stop. The other day I was walking through the house and had some nails in my hand. She heard them jingling and instantly starting barking running from the front door to the garage door (she thought someone was outside).

She also will randomly take out some pent up aggression on our little dog (a small Cavalier). She will be playing by herself and then suddenly take interest in him with anything he is doing. She will then crouch down and focus intently on him for a moment before charging him full speed and taking him out. She is not very gentle when she does this and it has become a problem because I don’t trust her in the yard with him when someone isn’t watching her.

My main reason for posting is to generate some feedback on what other people have experienced with their BB’s when moving to a new home. I don’t want to correct her to the point where she no longer alerts me to strange noises, but I am struggling to teach her the acceptable time to respond or alert. I also would really be grateful for some feedback on her behavior with regards to the little male Caviler. I know lots of people successfully keep BB’s alongside toy breeds but lately I do not trust my BB with him.

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Boy, I wish I had some good suggestions that would distract her while she is guarding, but we are totally unsuccessful with our boy when he goes into alert mode.  He is over-reactive and explosively aggressive and when he goes off, he goes in a split second and nothing can distract him.  If someone comes to the door, forget it.  However, if he were just to spot someone walking by I could usually successfully use the watch me command and a high value reward.  I had the same problem, no treat at hand when he erupted.  I found that a can of "squeeze cheese" worked well for this, I used to keep it on the windowsill so it was always at the ready.

Jon try finding a trainer that uses perhaps uses an e-collar and will teach you how to appropriately use it.. You will find it works! My trainers would bring their dogs to every lesson and have them run the fence line in which we continued to work on recalls till they were down pat.. Now he is much less reactive and most of the time doesn't even get up.. lol but he still watches! He just realized with training what appropriate threats were and weren't.. and that if I gave a command no matter what it was to be followed..

Jon, we worked really had to get my fear aggressive male to obey his 'leave it' command while reacting. He will do it while out in the yard now because we trained the 'leave it' up with low level distractions. You need to find the "in between" with no stimulus (such as in the house) and outside when there is an obvious stranger/intruder or whatever sets her off. You can't go from no distraction to the ultimate distraction with no in between. My male is so reactive, we used a stuffed dog on the other side of the fence, a good distance away as his low level distraction or threat. When he became successful with that, we moved it closer and once successful with that, we then had my son go outside with a hoodie and hat so that Bear would not know who he was--this only took a few sessions with the trainer. When he was successful with that, we kept dehydrated liver treats on our back porch so we would be ready to reward his successful 'leave it'. 

I would have to disagree about the e-collar. While the can be a good training tool IF used appropriately, your girl sounds as if she could have the tendency to be more on the nervous side and this is definitely not the type of dog you want to use an e-collar with. If you did, you can bet any fears, phobias or anxiety with worsen. One of my dogs had a bad experience with an e-collar, I can attest to it. 

Once again that is why it is important to find an appropriate trainer :)  When my boy was 4 months old we began him in a training class with another trainer.  By 7 months he was shutting down and becoming more and more reactive, unresponsive, and starting to become insecure and acting out.  After talking to several people I knew it was time to make a change.

For the first month of training it was all fun and games with the new trainers.  Treats to toys, we were working on engaging his mind and getting him to learn every command.  I was taught "cue words" to reinforce his behaviors as well as words to end them and a "no" for the ones I didnt want.  To my surprise he was turning around fast, his confidence was building, and he was actually enjoying training. 

It was only after this point and the fact that he new what his commands were supposed to be that we introduced the e-collar.  During this learning phase toys, treats and cue words as well as praise were still used to reinfore the positive behavoirs and starting at a low stimulus to reinforce negative ones.  For instance at the beggining of the e-collar lessons we would have Shango in a "sit stay"  and focus on me.  Sniper (the uneutered distraction) would walk slowly by him.  Of course at first he would react!  So in an instant gave a simple "no" followed by a low stimulus.  As soon as he focused back on me it was a "good" and treat.  Slowly but surely we added more and more stressors to help reinforce the behaviors we wanted.  And slowly but surely he learned that when their were distractions and I needed focus he was happily and willing to give it!  For our fence guarding/aggression I never use a leave it command.  I use a recall.  He went barreling to the fence I would say "Here".  With the dogs or human running on the other side of course he was so riled up he didnt listen.  So of course it was a "no" stimulus "here" while slowly turning it up till we got our desired response of him turning and coming back. Then it was full of excitement and praise till the moment he got back to me!  Till over time he would be sure to listen for that recall and then it got to the point where why even bother going or if he does I can stop him as soon as I say..

The point is that even with the e-collar (which only becomes a negative reinforcer to a undesired behavior or a quick reminder for a desired one) especially with a nervous dog you have to make training fun and that they know what you expect out of them!  You cannot just use an e-collar without the praise, toys and treats as well.

It has been five months now and my boy has blossomed.  We had taught him to focus on me before he gets anxious or fearful and I could not have done it without my trainers :)

Hi Jon. Sorry you are having  these problems. I have a toy breed. He's a Chihuahua. I set limits with both of my BB's. My female who has passed would occasionally chase him and I would say leave it and she would. My new male is almost 10 months old and he does the same thing. He will go over to him and paw him and the chi will go ballistic on him. Thankfully Axel, the BB doesn't get mad when he attacks him but I say leave it really firm. If he has the remote collar on I will nick him. That sends him the message and he backs off. When I go out the chi is in his enclosure. I am pretty lucky because I have never had to crate my BB when I go out. All 3 of my dogs sleep when I go out. Your boy is definitely having anxiety issues due to the move. Did you transport him in the crate? Maybe it became a scary place for him. I would leave the door open and throw treats randomly in there during the day. Maybe try to feed him his dinner in there with the door open etc.

Good luck!

~Lisa

JonP said:

Thanks for the help Fuller,

I think you are on to something here...I tried a risky move this week and have had her free roaming in the house while we are gone. So far so good. I have my fingers crossed! My only problem at this point is our other toy dog the Caviler. We can't leave him out with her because she will hurt him. And now I feel bad that they can't both be out together, he has to sit in that kennel and watch her roam freely because my female cannot seem to leave him alone.

I can't be sure what started it but recently she has been very hard on him. She will see him playing with a toy...so she will go take it away. Later she will see him off exploring the yard or whatever...so she will silently stalk him like a lion stalking a cape buffalo and when he least expects it she will charge him full speed knocking him over and running all over him.

It's not an issue when I am around but whenever they are in the new yard together for some reason she cannot let him be. He doesn't watch out for himself and he usually will try to play with her but she plays far too aggressively right now. Twice in the last week I have caught her as she grabbed him by the ear and tried to drag him. I don't know what to do anymore. For the longest time she played nicely with him, then one day it stopped. That brings me to today. I am seriously considering an electric collar for this. I need to get my trainer to come out for an hour or two to see what he can do. For now I always have my eye on her while they are in the yard together. Let me know what your thoughts are. I am struggling for solutions here. Since you are a breeder you may have some insight into this situation. I don't know if you have any toy breeds in the house but I am sure your dogs have been around them once or twice. Thanks again!

Fuller Boerboels said:

Hi Jon,

It sounds like she's fearful or nervous. All the new noises and a new home takes time to adjust to and she's probably freaking out when you're gone. The kennel has become a scary place for her instead of a place of comfort and that's why she drooling and panting. Do you give her things like nylabones to chew on in the kennel? Something that she can take her nervous aggression out on. I would discontinue the kennel for awhile (I'm assuming you're talking about a crate); maybe get an actual kennel that you can put in the garage while you're gone, where she has room to move around and have a bed and be comfy. I've heard of people leaving on a radio which covers up the noises outside and keeps them focused inside.

You can also buy 'calm' herbal aids at a vitamin or herbal store. You have to use about 4 times the amount for a human, but it works really well at calming them. Maybe hire a sitter to sit with her while you're gone until she adjusts.

Carrie, this brings back memories of my Bella, God rest her soul. She was EXACTLY the same way. But, if I saw the person I could give her the place command and pretty much get her to watch me until they passed by. The e-collar was useful for this as well but i didn't always leave it on her in the house, only when I expected company.

Carrie Kruczek said:

Boy, I wish I had some good suggestions that would distract her while she is guarding, but we are totally unsuccessful with our boy when he goes into alert mode.  He is over-reactive and explosively aggressive and when he goes off, he goes in a split second and nothing can distract him.  If someone comes to the door, forget it.  However, if he were just to spot someone walking by I could usually successfully use the watch me command and a high value reward.  I had the same problem, no treat at hand when he erupted.  I found that a can of "squeeze cheese" worked well for this, I used to keep it on the windowsill so it was always at the ready.

Kimberly Baker said:

Jon, we worked really had to get my fear aggressive male to obey his 'leave it' command while reacting. He will do it while out in the yard now because we trained the 'leave it' up with low level distractions. You need to find the "in between" with no stimulus (such as in the house) and outside when there is an obvious stranger/intruder or whatever sets her off. You can't go from no distraction to the ultimate distraction with no in between. My male is so reactive, we used a stuffed dog on the other side of the fence, a good distance away as his low level distraction or threat. When he became successful with that, we moved it closer and once successful with that, we then had my son go outside with a hoodie and hat so that Bear would not know who he was--this only took a few sessions with the trainer. When he was successful with that, we kept dehydrated liver treats on our back porch so we would be ready to reward his successful 'leave it'. 

I would have to disagree about the e-collar. While the can be a good training tool IF used appropriately, your girl sounds as if she could have the tendency to be more on the nervous side and this is definitely not the type of dog you want to use an e-collar with. If you did, you can bet any fears, phobias or anxiety with worsen. One of my dogs had a bad experience with an e-collar, I can attest to it. 

Hi Kim, I disagree on the e-collar. I couldn't have controlled Bella without it. The only thing I would change is that I would have started it earlier. I think if it is trained properly by a professional dog trainer then it works. I had a police dog trainer that I drove over an hour to and from but it was well worth it. It's def not a cure all but it can help you get control of an out of control dog, which Bella was. I started her after her aggression issues surfaced and she was about a year old. She had so much more freedom having it on. We trusted her off leash outside my home. The recalls were flawless. And, she had many fears and aggression issues and these did not get worse. She was always psyched to put the collar on because it meant she was going out to do something fun with us. I really have to say it was the best training money I ever spent ($800 included the collar) and free touch ups if for life if she ever needed it. I really never had to nick her after she figured it all out. She knew when she had the collar on and she obeyed. Just my experience, I know it might not be for everyone! ;)

~Lisa

No worries Carrie, you have been very helpful! Good call on the EZ-Cheese. I may have to pick up a can the next time I visit the grocery store. Thanks!

Carrie Kruczek said:

Hi Lisa,

I'm so happy for you that the new pup is working out.  Gage does sound like Bella....a dog like that does make life difficult, but it doesn't change how much you love them!  I gave some serious thought to trying an ecollar with him, I was desperate for a way to insure that I could control him,( at over 150#'s even my son can't stop him if he really wants to go) but my trainers felt it was the wrong approach to take with his aggression.  He is very biddable and obedient, when I used to take him to classes, he was so good that the trainer/behaviorist used him as a demonstrator! The trainer (president of a local shutzhund club) said he was a very nice, very obedient dog 98% of the time....but it was that 2% that gave him "grave reservations."  Gage overreacted so quickly and explosively that mere human reflexes couldn't nick him with an ecollar in time to head anything off, and once he went, he wouldn't notice if you hit him with a 2x4.  And his over-reaction wasn't limited to growling and barking, he will launch himself right at a person's head.  I've finally come to realize that training time is over for him, he will never be a safe dog around others.  Actually, in his case, training was killing him!  We'd been doing lots of training and socialization, but no matter how much fun and how positive we made it, Gage always hated leaving the house....even to take walks in the neighborhood.  He was always happy to get home.  Whenever he left the house, he was on constant guard, scanning, alert, suspicious of every movement. At two, he nearly died from a perforated stomach, and after extensive testing the vets said it was due to a stress ulcer!  That was it for training, and even for leaving our home or yard.   I felt bad at first, but then realized that he used to hate leaving the house, and he did not enjoy training classes.  He likes to stay home and guard.   

I know how you feel/felt. I was devastated when Bella turned aggressive. I was actually planning my new SUV purchase around her so that she could fit comfortably in the back when we would take her everywhere with us. Fortunately she did like going out and the e-collar gave us the option to do that. She would launch at the head's of people too. It was very scary but my son, even though she bit him before the e-collar, was not afraid of her and he carried on with the training and walking her. She was 120 lbs. and he was about 200 lbs. and in shape so he was confident that he could control her. It is very distressing to live your life around an aggressive dog especially when you are very socially inclined and have company over all the time. I miss her every day and I still cry at times when I start thinking about her. But, my new boy is very different. He just loves everybody and has just the best nature. When I chose Bella's breeder years ago I bought into all of the myths that surround this breed. Not anymore though, she taught me a valuable lesson. I think this time I got what I wanted in the first place. This guy has just enough drive not to make him boring but will listen when I tell him not to chase something. There are a lot of different schools of thought on the e-collar. The way Bella's trainer did it worked for us. We had more control over her and felt more confident handling her. She got to have such a better quality life because she could go out and roam a bit off leash and be a dog. I feel for you and Gage. At least he is happy at home. It's funny because we all go next door to my neighbor's house for coffee and movies etc. and Bella would always get her cookie and then want to go back home even if we stayed at Vinny's. With Axel, he is comfortable being there with us and sleeping by my feet there. I don't know as he gets older if this will change but I hope it doesn't.

It's just a shame how this breed is getting all screwed up. I feel bad for Gage because he can't help it. At least he has someone who is committed to him for the long run. He is very lucky!

Carrie Kruczek said:

Hi Lisa,

I'm so happy for you that the new pup is working out.  Gage does sound like Bella....a dog like that does make life difficult, but it doesn't change how much you love them!  I gave some serious thought to trying an ecollar with him, I was desperate for a way to insure that I could control him,( at over 150#'s even my son can't stop him if he really wants to go) but my trainers felt it was the wrong approach to take with his aggression.  He is very biddable and obedient, when I used to take him to classes, he was so good that the trainer/behaviorist used him as a demonstrator! The trainer (president of a local shutzhund club) said he was a very nice, very obedient dog 98% of the time....but it was that 2% that gave him "grave reservations."  Gage overreacted so quickly and explosively that mere human reflexes couldn't nick him with an ecollar in time to head anything off, and once he went, he wouldn't notice if you hit him with a 2x4.  And his over-reaction wasn't limited to growling and barking, he will launch himself right at a person's head.  I've finally come to realize that training time is over for him, he will never be a safe dog around others.  Actually, in his case, training was killing him!  We'd been doing lots of training and socialization, but no matter how much fun and how positive we made it, Gage always hated leaving the house....even to take walks in the neighborhood.  He was always happy to get home.  Whenever he left the house, he was on constant guard, scanning, alert, suspicious of every movement. At two, he nearly died from a perforated stomach, and after extensive testing the vets said it was due to a stress ulcer!  That was it for training, and even for leaving our home or yard.   I felt bad at first, but then realized that he used to hate leaving the house, and he did not enjoy training classes.  He likes to stay home and guard.   

Jon,

I'm glad you're seeing some improvement with your girl! That's so awesome and I'm sure it's helping you to feel a little relieved. The reason I always suggest that when someone is having issues that they meet with a personal trainer (with protective breed as a specialty) is because none of us can really SEE what is going on with her over the internet.... While it sounds like nervous aggression, it's only a guess from what you're describing. A personal trainer can offer you so much more insight with just one visit:) Good luck and I hope she keeps getting better and better!

Lisa Tiro said:

Hi Jon. Sorry you are having  these problems. I have a toy breed. He's a Chihuahua. I set limits with both of my BB's. My female who has passed would occasionally chase him and I would say leave it and she would. My new male is almost 10 months old and he does the same thing. He will go over to him and paw him and the chi will go ballistic on him. Thankfully Axel, the BB doesn't get mad when he attacks him but I say leave it really firm. If he has the remote collar on I will nick him. That sends him the message and he backs off. When I go out the chi is in his enclosure. I am pretty lucky because I have never had to crate my BB when I go out. All 3 of my dogs sleep when I go out. Your boy is definitely having anxiety issues due to the move. Did you transport him in the crate? Maybe it became a scary place for him. I would leave the door open and throw treats randomly in there during the day. Maybe try to feed him his dinner in there with the door open etc.

Good luck!

~Lisa

JonP said:

Thanks for the help Fuller,

I think you are on to something here...I tried a risky move this week and have had her free roaming in the house while we are gone. So far so good. I have my fingers crossed! My only problem at this point is our other toy dog the Caviler. We can't leave him out with her because she will hurt him. And now I feel bad that they can't both be out together, he has to sit in that kennel and watch her roam freely because my female cannot seem to leave him alone.

I can't be sure what started it but recently she has been very hard on him. She will see him playing with a toy...so she will go take it away. Later she will see him off exploring the yard or whatever...so she will silently stalk him like a lion stalking a cape buffalo and when he least expects it she will charge him full speed knocking him over and running all over him.

It's not an issue when I am around but whenever they are in the new yard together for some reason she cannot let him be. He doesn't watch out for himself and he usually will try to play with her but she plays far too aggressively right now. Twice in the last week I have caught her as she grabbed him by the ear and tried to drag him. I don't know what to do anymore. For the longest time she played nicely with him, then one day it stopped. That brings me to today. I am seriously considering an electric collar for this. I need to get my trainer to come out for an hour or two to see what he can do. For now I always have my eye on her while they are in the yard together. Let me know what your thoughts are. I am struggling for solutions here. Since you are a breeder you may have some insight into this situation. I don't know if you have any toy breeds in the house but I am sure your dogs have been around them once or twice. Thanks again!

Fuller Boerboels said:

Hi Jon,

It sounds like she's fearful or nervous. All the new noises and a new home takes time to adjust to and she's probably freaking out when you're gone. The kennel has become a scary place for her instead of a place of comfort and that's why she drooling and panting. Do you give her things like nylabones to chew on in the kennel? Something that she can take her nervous aggression out on. I would discontinue the kennel for awhile (I'm assuming you're talking about a crate); maybe get an actual kennel that you can put in the garage while you're gone, where she has room to move around and have a bed and be comfy. I've heard of people leaving on a radio which covers up the noises outside and keeps them focused inside.

You can also buy 'calm' herbal aids at a vitamin or herbal store. You have to use about 4 times the amount for a human, but it works really well at calming them. Maybe hire a sitter to sit with her while you're gone until she adjusts.

Carrie,

Gage is very lucky to have such an understandable owner.  

Carrie Kruczek said:

Hi Lisa,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

TopBoerboelShop

Latest Activity

Ronald Morris updated their profile
Thursday
Ronald Morris updated their profile
Apr 20
Al Mackenzie / Danielle Nunn updated their profile
Apr 19
Profile IconLisa, Shanti kebs, June Louis Reyes and 38 more joined Top Boerboel
Apr 19
Jame Aciaa liked Kim Ann Wurtz's discussion obsessive Water drinking
Dec 19, 2022
Jame Aciaa liked Kim Ann Wurtz's discussion obsessive Water drinking
Dec 18, 2022
Profile IconOku Christopher Ekpeyong, Frisco D, Wout vanleeuwen and 3 more joined Top Boerboel
Aug 24, 2021
Webster chembe posted photos
May 30, 2021
Profile IconYusuf Engar, Dunamis Kennels, Troy Campbell and 2 more joined Top Boerboel
May 29, 2021
Sheila Terrault updated their profile
Apr 7, 2021
Profile IconJohn R Douglass, Reese Bohama, Malcolm Poulton and 24 more joined Top Boerboel
Apr 1, 2021
Sweet Pea updated their profile
Jan 2, 2021
Profile IconDaniel Clifford and Goran Vukovic joined Top Boerboel
Jul 18, 2020
Penny Crawford is now a member of Top Boerboel
Jun 28, 2020

Admin
Marco replied to Kim Ann Wurtz's discussion obsessive Water drinking
"Hello Kim welcome and thanks for posting.  Sorry to hear you having trouble with your puppy.  First off have you taken her to the vet?  Do they know of the situation?  Have they taken a urine sample?  If your girl has a UTI…"
Jun 25, 2020
Profile IconPiero and Sandra Smith joined Top Boerboel
Jun 25, 2020
Kim Ann Wurtz posted a discussion

obsessive Water drinking

Our 12 week old Boerboel wants to drink water - she has had a urinary infection that we have been treating.. but this is crazy... she searches for mud puddles, rain, condensation... drinks until she is miserable and burping then lays around and pees... potty training is near impossible as she is more interested in water than life... ANY IDEAS? See More
Jun 9, 2020
Kizzy Moonga is now a member of Top Boerboel
May 23, 2020

Admin
Marco liked Reggie Follett's blog post discovery
May 17, 2020
Profile IconSimba Zed and Tswap joined Top Boerboel
May 17, 2020

Follow us

© 2024   Created by Marco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service